I’m back from Haiti. When I read that, I struggle to find words to describe everything I saw and experienced in Haiti. Then I question if there are even words to do so. Regardless, I’m going to give it a try.
I’ll start where I left off, as I apologize for not writing the last few nights – I was completely exhausted by the end of the day and needed some sleep. The second day we were there, a team of 10 of us from the US went to the grounds of where a new “tent city” is being built. However, this one, was being built for approximately 500-700 people. Our team built latrines and showers for these folks, as well as laid 100 feet of pipeline for their septic system. The tent city was one of many set up throughout Port-au-Prince, and the new home of thousands who have lost their homes in the devastating earthquake.
These people have been through a horrific nightmare, and the crumpled buildings along the streets are a daily reminder of that nightmare, not to mention the personal tragedies clinging to their lives. After building the tent city, our team took a drive through downtown Port-au-Prince to look around at the devastation. It was heartbreaking. I had heard a quote once, long ago, which said the erection of a building often signifies the dream of one person or many. Looking around Haiti, you see a just a glimpse of thousands of shattered dreams. No, actually, you are in a pit of shattered dreams. On our way driving out of Port-au-Prince, we drove along this port, and on the right hand side was a sea of slums. Now, I’ve been to some pretty poor places in my lifetime (Cambodia, Nepal, etc.), but these slums were by far the worst poverty I have ever seen in my life. “Homes” erected from literal cardboard or rusting sheet metal, as far as the eye could see. Human and animal feces on the ground everywhere, as well as loads of trash and rotting food. Wild pigs running around eating the trash and random compost on the ground. You could see their struggles plain as day. These slums had an unrelenting smell even if you drive by, this was worse than any image you have seen in Slumdog Millionaire. As I said, it was unreal, and it broke my heart for these poor people.
Furthermore, Haiti has only a 20% literacy rate. The earthquake did nothing to help the odds of these people get educated. 90% of schools in Haiti collapsed in the earthquake, and are not projected to be completely rebuilt for 1-3 years. So, many of the kids will not have schooling for 1-3 years, meaning Haiti is absolutely desperate for teachers or any who can bring education to these poor souls.
Many orphanages collapsed leaving thousands of orphans without a place to call home. Considering they’ve already battled the loss or abandonment of parents, they now face the strife of finding a home or somehow getting schooling. Schooling is seen as their way of bettering their situation, and actually making a future for themselves. For me, as I sit here and reflect on the easily hopeless situation of many of these people, orphans, and children, I think of these two verses:
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. – Jeremiah 29:11, NIV
The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. – Deuteronomy 31:8, NIV
God is alive in Haiti, and He is the King of these people. He has not left them, but He is with them in the midst of their tragedy; He is with them in the midst of their hopelessness; He is holding them when they cry; He is with them when they don’t know where they are going to live or how they are going to get through tomorrow; He is holding their hand as they walk down the dusty roads looking for a new place to live; He carrying them, every, single, step, of the way. We thankfully serve a God of compassion and love, who loves these people so very much, and He cries with them.
As I settle back in to comfortable, developed world life, I pray I do not become complacent. I pray I do not let Haiti become a mere trip I did once; I pray I do not let it all become a memory; I pray I do not forget the hearts of the orphans and the people of Haiti; I pray I do not forget their suffering; I pray I carry these images with me each day; I pray I remember the hugs of these sweet handicapped orphans every day – how in the midst of their tragedy, they are able to selflessly love ME. Think about that…..these children have nothing to offer but a smile and a hug. Despite all that they are going through, they do not wallow in their victimization, instead they reach out in love with a smile and a hug. These children teach us more than we can ever know or fathom, and I know that is God’s love at work in them.
As you read this, if you feel God is encouraging you to reach out to Haiti, do it. Give or go, or both. God’s word is clear about reaching out to those in need:
When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." – Luke 18:22, NIV
I pray we reach out to Haiti, and also not forget the last part – “Then come, follow me.” God is so good, and following Him provides a life which not only honors Him, but also makes us complete. Let us love Haiti, not just for ourselves and because it makes us feel good, but let us love Haiti for God. God uses us to love the least, the last, and the lost; God uses us to love the outcasts; God uses us to love Haiti and each other. Please join me in praying for Haiti. I pray blessings upon you, and thank you, love y’all!
<><
KB
God bless you and everyone out there helping.
ReplyDelete